Winter is just around the corner and soon it will be the same time of year when you will want your home to be extremely warm, cozy and comfortable. This year, instead of spending on expensive heating units and furnaces, you should invest on ways to make your home more energy efficient and save money on your utility bills, because even by getting new equipment you can’t ensure the warmth you want for your home.
By completimg a quick home checkup you can decrease these prices, prepare for winter and enjoy your energy savings. Well installed and maintained windows and doors can assist keep your home more warm not only in winters but all year round. Save on heating as well as cooling costs by preparing your doors and windows for winter using these tips.
- Clean moving parts and sills of debris and dirt. Debris like dirt, sand or other contaminants can get caught in moving parts and windowsills of windows or doors. Clean these areas using a dry paintbrush. This will help you create a firmer seal and increase window and door performance.
- Reapply sealant or caulk around windows and doors. Reseal areas around doors and windows that may have been exposed to extreme sunlight or heavy weather, damaging the sealant or caulking, to assist lessen potential leaks and drafts.
- Check weather stripping: fix or replace worn or missing weather stripping around windows and doors. Loose weather stripping can allow cold air in, in winters and out in summers, decreasing energy efficiency.
- Installing shades or snap-in blinds: Install shades or snap-in blinds to assist insulate your home from cold temperatures outside.
- Replace or repair damaged exterior surfaces: Deteriorated or cracked wood mean water penetration. Water penetration may allow moisture as well as cold air to get in your home. Check for signs of water leakage and replace damaged wood.
- Replace old doors and windows with energy efficient ones: If you have older windows or doors or have single pane, clear glass, you may be paying more to cool your home in summers and to heat your home in winters. Replace old windows with energy efficient, double or triple glazed glass version made with insulating argon, or install new durable fiberglass doors to assist save energy and money year-round.
Contact MAXgreen for more window and door replacement services in Calgary. We are the most reputed online window suppliers in Calgary.